South Luangwa National Park, a park situated in northeastern Zambia, southern Africa. Divided into two separate parks, one north, and one south, the Luangwa National Park covers a space of 6,00zero sq. miles (15,540 sq. km) and lies at an elevation various from about 1,600 to three,600 ft (500 to 1,100 meters).
South Luangwa National Park
Following an interval of decline within the 1970s and ’80s during which poaching was rife, efforts had been made to revive the park.
South Luangwa National Park is in jap Zambia, the southernmost of three national parks within the valley of the Luangwa River.
Consultants have dubbed South Luangwa to be one of many best wildlife sanctuaries on the planet.
Due to its impervious location, this 9,050-sq km park manages to mix the immense density of wildlife with restricted customer numbers.
The park is likely one of the greatest in Zambia, if not Africa, for surroundings, selection, and density of animals.
The Luangwa River is essentially the most intact main river system in Africa and is the life-blood of this park. The park hosts all kinds of wildlife, birds, and vegetation.
There’s an enormous number of lodging to select from, from tenting on the banks of the Luangwa River to luxurious tents with air-con, or self-contained chalets to 5-star luxurious lodges.
Most lodging is on the sting of the park if not within the park itself, which is nice for 2 causes;
1. Drive time to the park is brief that means you may see animals inside minutes of getting within the safari car.
2. Given the proximity to the park, it isn’t unusual to see a herd of elephants wandering by the grounds of the lodge or some monkeys inflicting mischief across the campsite. You’ll definitely hear hippos grunting within the distance – it’s the true wilderness.
- Sundowner, South Luangwa
- Game drive south Luangwa
- Sundowner, South Luangwa
- Sunset in South Luangwa
- Walking safari in South Luangwa
ACTIVITIES IN SOUTH LUANGWA NATIONAL PARK
The ‘strolling safari’ was pioneered in South Luangwa National Park again within the 1950s and 1960s. Because of the birthplace of strolling safaris, there’s nowhere higher to expertise the wild wonders of the African bush on foot.
A strolling safari gives a novel alternative to face (from a protected distance) and watch a wild animal, heightening the expertise immensely.
A strolling safari isn’t the one method to view wildlife in South Luangwa. The park permits each morning and night recreation drives.
Not all parks in Africa enable evening drives, so right here it is possible for you to view nocturnal wildlife and witness traditional African sundown on the banks of the Luangwa River, which is an expertise like no different.
You’ll be in a safe 4×Four safari car with a piece of skilled information and a spotter/driver.
Your information is right here to coach you in your environment and naturally the wildlife.
Every lodge in South Luangwa has its personal crew of guides and the extent of experience is extraordinarily excessive – you’ll study loads on safari in South Luangwa.
Generally, guests to South Luangwa will go to the park for anyplace between 3-7 days. A typical day on a safari within the South Luangwa National Park appears like this:
- Get up the name at 05:30 – an opportunity to have breakfast earlier than your safari
- The game drive begins at 06:00 / 06:30
- Coffee and biscuits break round 08:00 / 08:30
- Proceed with recreation drive till 10:00/10:30 – arrive again in camp
- Brunch/lunch round 11:00
- Chill time – have a nap – lounge by the pool
- Cake & (extra) tea at 15:00
- Night recreation drive at 16:00
- Sundowners around 17:30 / 18:00
- Arrive again from the night recreation drive round 20:00
- Straight to dinner after which, for a lot of, mattress – for some, the bar!
In-between all this consuming you’ll, after all, see a great deal of wildlife and uncover this superb park.
- Leopard, South Luangwa
- Baboon, South Luangwa
- Hyena, South Luangwa
- Wild Dog, South Luangwa
- Warthog, South Luangwa
- Zebra, South Luangwa
- Lion, South Luangwa
Mammals within the South Luangwa National Park
South Luangwa provides unbelievable wildlife viewing. 4 of the large 5 are current and simply seen. The elephant is ample within the park as are buffalo, generally herds counting tons of being seen.
Sightings of the lion are frequent, prides lounge in shaded spots reserving their power for the nightly hunt.
The often elusive leopard is often seen in South Luangwa; a lot so it has been nicknamed “the valley of the leopard”.
Preserve your eyes peeled for evening drives and you might be (virtually) assured to sight this majestic cat.
There’s extra to South Luangwa National Park than the large 4. Greater than 60 species of mammal inhabit South Luangwa, together with uncommon endemic species akin to Thornicroft’s giraffes, Cookson’s Wildebeest, and Crawshay’s zebras.
The wild canine is occasional guests to the park, South Luangwa is residence to one of many highest populations of African wild canine on the planet.
If you happen to take a look at the water you will notice crocodiles and big numbers of hippos.
The park has 14 completely different species of antelope. There are enormous populations of impala throughout the park.
Much less frequent is the bushbuck and the frequent duiker. The most important antelope to inhabit the park is the eland.
The Puku can be prevalent as is the Kudu. The Kudu is a superb sighting with its regal spiral horns and a delicate face.
A lot more durable to see as they aren’t so widespread within the vacationer space of the park are reedbuck, roan, sable, grysbok, hartebeest, oribi, and klipspringer.
As soon as the solar units, the park transforms, offering wholly completely different safari expertise. Chances are you’ll sight animals akin to leopard and lion searching.
What’s extra thrilling is the animal species you may see that aren’t energetic throughout the day, akin to genets, civets, mongoose, scrub hares, and elephant shrews. And in case you’re extraordinarily fortunate porcupine and honey badgers.
Different notable mammals embrace hyena, Vervet monkey, baboon, bush child, pangolin and everybody’s favorite the warthog.
Birdlife South Luangwa
Birdlife at South Luangwa
Birdlife South Luangwa
Birdlife South Luangwa
Birdlife South Luangwa
Birdlife of the South Luangwa National Park
South Luangwa is a birders paradise; greater than 450 species have been recorded within the park. What’s extra thrilling for chook watchers is the opportunity of seeing greater than 100 species in a day.
The riverbanks are residence to excessive populations of southern carmine bee-eaters, a summer season migrant to Zambia, arriving in late August and early September to breed.
They are going to dig particular person tunnels into the financial institution the place they are going to lay their eggs and care for his or her younger in late November and early December.
Observing the southern carmine bee-eaters in August and September is an unbelievable sighting however the perfect time for birding in South Luangwa is throughout the moist months from November to April.
Throughout this time, migrant birds have settled in and lots of birds are in breeding plumage.
Because the rains come to a finish and the park begins to dry pelicans and yellow-billed storks collect within the final puddles of water to scoop out the fish, and Grey-crowned cranes can generally be present in flocks of as much as 300.
Notable birds in South Luangwa
Pel’s fishing owl
Verreaux’s eagle owl
Great white pelican
Western banded snake eagle
All through the whole yr, South Luangwa is excellent for birders and non-birders alike, the variety and abundance of chic and vibrant birds are outstanding.
You’re assured to seize unbelievable pictures of them hovering within the skies and perching on tree branches.
Hippos in South Luangwa
Carmine bee-eater, South Luangwa
Safety briefing before a walking safari
Elephants, South Luangwa
Sundowner in South Luangwa
Experience the South Luangwa National Park
By combining unbelievable wildlife with extraordinarily high-quality guiding, Luangwa comes out close to the highest of the checklist of Arica’s most well-known parks.
Though the recognition of the park is obvious and rising, South Luangwa stays uncrowded from vacationers and gives very genuine safari expertise.
visit for more
Other Recommended Reading
- Jamala Wildlife Lodge Canberra – Reviews | Phone
- Aquila Private Game Reserve – Safari | Reviews | Address
- Ngorongoro Crater Lodge Tanzania- Amenities | Reviews
- Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge – Reviews | Rooms | Amenities
- Singita Sweni Lodge – Amenities | Rooms | Reviews
- Shishangeni Private Lodge Kruger National Park – A Review
- Zambia Mfuwe Lodge – Amenities | Reviews | Rooms
- 18 Kenya Safari Park Destinations – Top Rated in Reviews
- Nairobi National Park Safari – Travel Plan | Reviews
- Kambaku Safari Lodge – Address | Location | Reviews
- Umlani Bushcamp – Reviews | Amenities | Highlights
- Silvan Safari Lodge – Reviews | Amenities | Highlights
- Motswari Private Game Reserve – Amenities | Reviews
- The Boulder Creek Lodge – Reviews | Amenities
- Geiger’s Camp South Africa – Reviews | Amenities
- Elephant Plains Game Lodge Kruger National Park
- Simbambili Game Lodge – Amenities | Highlights | Reviews
- Dulini Leadwood Lodge – Contact | Reviews | Price
- Tengile River Lodge South Africa – Reviews | Contact | Location
- Londolozi Tree Camp South Africa – Reviews | Contact